Friday, April 24, 2009

Toto

Toto is an American band formed in 1976. Founders David Paich, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro and Steve Lukather were the original members but the lineup had several incarnations especially in the vocals department where you could hear different singers on their songs, depending on which era they were written. The members are also prolific session musicians who played for famous pop stars like Michael Jackson.

Toto songs are well-written and produced. They were either cutting-edge rock songs or emotional ballads with themes of love and relationship. Below are a list of my favourite Toto songs.

My top 'fast' Toto songs

1) Stranger in Town
2) Endless
3) Home of the Brave
4) Stop Loving You
5) '99'
6) Georgy Porgy

My top 'slow' Toto ballads

1) I Will Remember
2) Africa
3) Anna
4) Lea
5) A Secret Love
6) I'll Be Over You
7) Two Hearts

'Africa' is most probably Toto's most successful and well-recognised song, winning the band a Grammy award in 1983. The band disbanded in 2008 after 31 illustrious years in music making.

My favourite track has to be 'I Will Remember'. It sounds poignant and reminds me of a failed romance many years ago. Watch the interesting MTV here.


'Even when love has come and gone
And our hearts have moved along
I will remember
There was a time when we had the trust
and that always was enough
I will remember
I will remember you...'

- I Will Remember

No comments: