Friday, April 17, 2009

#9 Dream

John Lennon carved out a strong solo career albeit a short one after the Beatles broke up in 1969, producing classics such as 'Imagine'. He was murdered outside his New York home in 1980.

#9 Dream is a song written by John Lennon from his 1974 album 'Walls and Bridges'. The strange refrain in the song 'Ah! böwakawa poussé, poussé' came from a dream he had and from there, he worked his way around the song, thus explaining the dreamlike and atmospheric feel of the tune. I discovered this interesting record sleeve above from the internet which must be a japanese single cover for the song.

I experienced two vivid dreams this week.

I dreamt of someone whom i had not seen for a long time and it just feels so real, that familiar face and the setting. i pondered often if i will ever see her again and it is just ironic that i can somehow meet her in my dreams once in a long while, i just smiled and thinking perhaps, that is really good enough.

I met my Uncle (who just passed away in February) in a dream, having a conversation with him over the recent football matches and can only recall him saying 'ok sure i will catch the highlights of the match'. Perhaps he has something to catch up in the afterlife and thus missed watching it.

My dreams are mostly undefinable with 'twisted plots' and i can't understand most of them, even so most will just evaporate off my mind the moment i wake up. I remembered a time last year when i was having a terrifying bout of nightmares in which i recalled someone (or something) constantly chasing me and i was kind of 'battling' and fighting him almost nightly. Interesting.

I read in an article a long time ago which gives a possible insight into the mystery of dreams, that if a human does not have dreams, the person will go insane. Dreams is possibly a way for the human brain which, in the awakening state, been subjected to all kinds of thought-processing and different emotional states, to release the tension that it constantly builds up. I think it is akin to squeezing a sponge to get rid of all the soap and water in it.

Life is a constant struggle and dreams is a mystery. These two are perhaps intertwined but we may not completely understand it till the day we die.

No comments: