Monday, December 14, 2009

Tears In Heaven

I was compiling a CD of 'classic rock' MP3 songs for listening during my car drive. This gentle ballad 'Tears In Heaven' by Eric Clapton was in my list and i was just playing it on repeat mode over and over again, enjoying it. I heard of the story behind the song before -

"Tears in Heaven" is a ballad written by Eric Clapton about the pain Clapton felt following the death of his four-year-old son, Conor, who fell from a window of the 53rd-floor New York apartment of his mother's friend, on March 20, 1991. Clapton, who arrived at the apartment shortly after the accident, was visibly distraught for months afterwards.

This ballad written about and for his son by Clapton went on to be one of his most successful hit single which he went on to perform it on his famous 'unplugged' concerts. I am not a big fan of his music but i really admire his strength and solitude in writing such a powerful tune and performing it to millions on stage. That such tragedy could evoke such strong emotions which gave birth to a song that touches almost everyone who hears it.

Would you know my name
if I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven...

Would you hold my hand
if I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand
if I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day
'Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven...

Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees
Time can break your heart, have you begging please...begging please

Beyond the door there's peace I'm sure
And I know there'll be no more tears in heaven...

Would you know my name
if I saw you in heaven?
Would you be the same
if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven...


No comments: